Tuesday, February 7, 2012

On Dodging Fear



Fear of the unknown.
Of what I will find.
Of what I will discover.
Fear of judgment.
Judgment by others.
Judgment of myself.

When fear first strikes,
It is paralyzing.
Freezing me in my tracks.
It keeps me stuck.
Afraid to move forward.
Scared to go backward.
Frozen in time.

Fear.
It's a signal of danger.
A warning to be careful.
A sign something is wrong.
Take care.
Be aware.
Fear is near.

But I am strong.
It won't keep me stuck.
I know it's there.
I don't care.
I have a life to live.
I'll get past it.

Sometimes, I tip toe around it until it subsides.
Sometimes, I sneak up on it, catching it off guard, then breezing by.
Sometimes, I acknowledge it and walk right past it.
Sometimes, I ignore it, pretending it's not there.
Sometimes, I take a deep breath, jump into it, and force my way through.

Fear.
It won't keep me stuck.
It won't keep me frozen.
I've learned that getting past fear is risky, painful, and scary.
But, often, just past fear is a world of self-discovery and growth.
A world of new found dreams and possibilities.
A world of hope.
Fear is a beacon signaling growth ahead.
So, I find a way to dodge fear.

            By Mary Pudmoreff

No comments:

Post a Comment